One of the more striking things that I have noticed now that we have been in Italy for three months is how much more "in touch" I am (literally and figuratively) with how much cash we go through on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. Italy is a cash economy. You pay the rent in cash. You pay the gardener in cash. You pay the veterinarian in cash. In most markets, they really only want cash. It is utterly horrifying to watch the constant hemorrhaging of cash! Now, that is not to say that this same outflow of money didn't occur while we were in the states- because it did. But we were insulated from it, cozy in our nest of Mastercard, debit card, autopay and checks. It wasn't like real money. But this stuff is real. It is so real that the normal vigilance that I have for keeping an eye on my wallet has become super-vigilance...you just are ALWAYS carrying cash! There are two things that I ponder when I count out yet another pile of Euro in order to pay for the groceries... #1. Thank goodness we are in a position that I can count out Euro and buy my groceries. There are a lot of people that cannot. #2. What condition would the American economy be in if the populace could only buy what they could actually afford to buy in cash? Sets a mind to thinking. Just saying.
On an entirely different cabbage related note: Boy Elder has finally started preschool I hemmed and hawed and toured different schools and finally committed to a great preschool for him where he is amongst Italian children and NATO forces children and taught in both English and Italian. I think it is a great experience for him to be immersed in the culture and the language and I am dearly hoping he will learn quickly enough to do all my translation for me.
Because I am simply NOT getting it.
But this is not the point of my story. The point of my story is that schools in Italy serve your children lunch. This isn't lunch of the cold microwaved hamburger and day-old tater tots variety. This is primi piatti (pasta dish of some kind) followed by secondi piatti (meat and vegetables) + bread or dessert. Boy Elder is not much of an eater, but I am paying for the food and they do pack it up to take home (in little "to go" containers) when he doesn't eat it, so I like to get a preview of what myself and Boy Younger (aka The Garbage Truck) are going to have for lunch the next day. The menu reads like a darn good date night. Pasta Fagioli followed by grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and chard. Pasta with potatoes followed by sauteed steak bites and spinach. Um, yum! Can I go back to school?!?
So last week I sashayed past the posted menu to check out what I was going to be enjoying for lunch this week, and I see the following dish: Pasta con Cavolo. Pasta with HORSE?!? WHAT?! Now, I have seen the little baby food jars of horse in the grocery store (and been appropriately disgusted), but I would have expected an international school to understand that HORSE is not "on the menu" in many places. I stood in trepidation trying to decide whether I would just look the other way and call it part of the cultural experience or skip school that day or ask that Jack be excused for lunch that day or...I went home to contemplate my options. Thank God for Google Translate. Turns out Cavalo is Cabbage. Cavallo is Horse. Not Horse for lunch, Cabbage for lunch. "Ugly American" incident avoided at school.
Turns out pasta with Cabbage is delicious! The picture above is of a cabbage I purchased at a local market. I see them all the time and had no idea which variety they are, but figured- Hey, it's a cabbage. I'll figure something out. Turns out when you peel back the gloriously green outer leaves- It's a Savoy Cabbage. I used these all the time (when I could find them) in the states-- but we only ever saw them in their "domesticated" state-- all the outer leaves removed, leaving a paler, smaller version of the same. I see this kind of thing all the time here...vegetables I am completely familiar with in their "produce aisle" format look VERY different when left in their unadulterated form coming from the fields. And I would have told you that I knew my veggies.
Just for kicks- here is the recipe I used with my glorious little Savoy. Enjoy.
A big handful of cubed pancetta (It comes here packaged like that....so awesome)
A good glug of olive oil
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
A palmful of dried thyme
1 large Savoy cabbage, chopped coarsely
1 handful of grated Parmesan cheese
Pasta of your shape of choice - I used these great mini lasagna shape noodles called Mafalda Corta
salt and black pepper
1/4 cup or so of grated dry provolone ( You could use mozzarella or similar)
2 handfuls of pine nuts, lighly toasted
Saute the pancetta in olive oil. Add thyme and garlic. Add cabbage and cover. When cabbage has softened (add a little chicken broth to get some steam going if you need), then add the cooked pasta and provolone. Turn off the heat. Give another generous swirl of olive oil, salt, pepper. Top with parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Serve hot.

sounds yummy. We serve hot lunch to the kids at the pre school I work at here, but never anything that sounds as good has you menu there. Today was turkey chunks in gravy with mashed potato. The Italians seem to have better sense of what is good. And that they pack it so you get to eat what Jack won't is great! Enjoy those lunches.
ReplyDeleteAnd #2 on your econ. lesson does make you think, we do get way to comfy with the credit card. No wonder we are where we are.
Pasta & Potatoes!! Awesome. I made that for Xmas day dinner. I hadn't made it for years, and Dad hadn't had it for at least 10 according to him. Brought him back to dinners his mom made :) I will try your pasta & cabbage recipe (without the pine nuts sadly). Darn - you made me hungry. Will it work as a weight watchers meal?? hahahaha.
ReplyDelete